Getting Started at AppState
To aid with your transition into The Appalachian Community, we have included a step-by-step checklist and other resources containing information on required paperwork for new employees, how to obtain your AppCard (University ID), and University Parking Permit.
Complete the Human Resources Employee Online Forms in AppState's Onboarding Module
**All New Hire Employment forms are completed and submitting using the onboarding module (see below). You can also download/view the New Employment Paperwork Packet
Login to the Onboarding Module
Use your email address as your username and the temporary password sent to you from Human Resources with the subject line "Employment Forms- Appalachian State University". You will then be prompted to create a new password.
Create a new password (be sure to retain this information for future use)
Click on the "Needs Attention" tab
Review, sign, and approve the 18 required forms (see example below)
Important I-9 Form Information
The I-9 form (Proof of eligibility to work in the United States) must be completed and witnessed by an HR representative no later than 3 working days after your official employment start date. The official start dates for most faculty members & instructors are as follows:
- August 1st
- August 9th
- August 16th
You complete Section One of the I-9 form in the Onboarding Module. HR will complete Section Two of the I-9 after ID verification. Please visit the HR Office with the acceptable forms of identification preferably no later than your first day of employment.
Enroll in Duo 2-Factor Authentication
Two-factor authentication with Duo is required for all incoming AppState Faculty & Staff.
Note: You cannot access any of our AppState services (such as Google Apps, AsULearn, Banner, Yomart, etc) without enrolling in Duo Authentication first.
For more detailed instructions, visit the Duo 2-Factor Authentication Help Page.
Benefits of 2-Factor Authentication
- It is the single, most effective step that you can take to keep your AppState accounts secure
- You only have to update your password once a year (instead of every 90 days)
- You can use your smartphone for 2-factor authentication
- Step 1: Logging into Duo
- After creating your AppState password, you can now login to your Google Apps account or another university service
- After logging in, you will see the “Start setup” screen to finalize DUO enrollment.
- Note: If you do not see this screen, log out and sign in again
- Click "Start Setup"
- Choose your device (see instructions below for adding multiple devices)
- Enter your cell phone number with the area code.
- Click on the checkbox to confirm the number you entered is correct
- Click "Continue"
- Choose your phone type (i.e. iPhone, Android, etc)
- Enter your cell phone number with the area code.
- Step 2: Download Duo Mobile on your smartphone (make sure that the app you download looks like the one you pictured below)
- When prompted, allow notifications & approve access to your device's camera. When finished, click "I have DUO Mobile Installed."
- Open up the Duo Mobile App. You'll see "Get Started or "Add account options"
- Important: Do not click on anything. Leave this page open and continue to step 3
- Step 3: Self Enroll in DUO & Add a Mobile Device
- On a computer, go to the AppState Duo Self Enrollment page
- Enter in your AppState username (without the @appstate.edu) and password and click the button to Enroll in DUO
- Follow the on-screen prompts to add a mobile device, mobile phone number, and device type.
- A barcode (QR Code) will display that will need to be scanned with the DUO mobile App
- Using your device's camera, hover over the QR Code (the Duo App will automatically scan and add your AppState credentials to Duo Mobile)
- A green check mark will display over the barcode indicating that the scan was successful. When finished, click "I have DUO Mobile Installed".
Adding Other Devices
- Add a landline, office/home phone, tablet, TouchID, or non-smartphone as a device
- From a computer, Access the Duo settings control panel (you may have to open this link in an incognito/private window or a separate browser if you've recently authenticated with Shibboleth and Duo).
- Click the Add a new device link
- Send a push to your phone to authenticate with Duo (anytime you want to add a device or see your devices and settings, you have to authenticate with Duo)
- Select your desired device from the list and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Obtain Your AppCard (Appointment Required) (University Bookstore, 2nd Floor)
AppCard Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
**Once you click on the link, please make sure you are viewing the Google calendar in Eastern Time before scheduling your appointment. You can hover over each appointment to see the exact time
Procedures for submitting AppCard ID Photos Online
1. Using your AppState email address and the subject line "Photo for AppCard", please submit the following information to the AppCard Office email address at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full legal name
- Date of birth
- Banner ID (please contact Crystal Weisner at email@example.com if you do not have this information)
- Photo in .jpg format (see photo submission guidelines below
- Note: Photo must be submitted using our AppState email address. Photos will not be accepted from a personal email account.
Once sent, your photo will go through the approval process. You will receive an email once the photo has been received and entered the approval process. If your photo is not approved, you will be notified by email and must resubmit a new photo. Please make sure to follow the photo submission guidelines below.
*New employees are issued the AppCard at no additional charge*
Photo Submission Guidelines
Note: Your ID Card photo must be a current picture of you taken in accordance with the U.S Department of State Passport Standards.
- Current color photo within the last 6 months
- Must be in .jpg format
- Image should be 2" x 2" (51mm x 51mm) in high resolution (not grainy, pixelated, or blurry)
- Head must be between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Orientation of the photo must be correct (if the photo is sideways it will not be accepted)
- Solid white background
- Centered, front view of full face
- Cropped from just above the top of the head down to the collarbone
- Bright, clear lighting
- Eyes open and visible
- Straight face or smile (no exaggerated faces)
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, please do so for this photo
- Head coverings allowed if you wear it daily for religious purposes (full face must be visible & covering cannot obscure hairline or cast shadows on face)
Photos that do not meet requirements:
- Wearing a hat, sunglasses, or anything that obscures the face
- Shadows on the face, glare on glasses, or red eye
- Other visible people or objects in the photo
- Props or hand gestures
- Inappropriate expressions
- Copyrighted images
HR Orientation & Benefits Forms (**if eligible)
**All permanent, full-time, and three-quarter-time employees (employed for the full academic year) at Appalachian State University are eligible to participate in the benefit programs listed on the HR website. Permanent half-time employees are eligible to participate in the Health Plans by paying the full cost. Tax Sheltered Annuities and the North Carolina Flexible Benefits Plan NCFlex are also available to permanent half-time employees.
2. If eligible, plan to attend one of the New Faculty Benefits Orientation offerings in room 114, Belk Library & Information Commons (parking & location information)
- August 9, 2021; 2:00 pm
- August 12, 2021; 9:00 am
2. Enroll in The State Health Plan via eEnroll (video)
*Note: Must be completed within 30 days of hire date
Obtain Your Parking Pass (Rivers Street Parking Deck)
2021-2022 Parking Pass Registration Opens August 2, 2021 at 10:00am
Please visit the Parking & Transportation webpage for further information.
Note: Your parking pass will be mailed to your department. To ensure that ASU employees have enough time to obtain their parking pass, ASU Parking & Traffic will not start issuing parking tickets until the very end of August/early September.
Log into Appalnet using your username (without the @appstate.edu) & password.
Click on the "Employee" tab and scroll down to "Parking Registration System
Click on "View/Manage Account".
Select your permit based on lots available for faculty and staff (Parking Permit Maps). You may register for one parking permit and one carbon-neutral offset. Once a permit type is selected, the system will reserve it for fifteen minutes.
Click Add Vehicle and enter vehicle information (make sure you have your license plate # handy).
Click Confirm in the bottom right corner, then click the red Add Permit to Cart button in the bottom right corner to proceed.
Enter your Contact Information and click the black Checkout button in the bottom right corner.
After checkout, you will receive a confirmation email of your registration. Be sure to keep a copy of this for your records!
Fees (deducted monthly from your paycheck):
- River Street Parking Deck Permit: $432.00 ($36.00 monthly)
- Library Deck Permit: $432.00 ($36.00 monthly)
- Stadium Parking Deck: $432.00 ($36.00 monthly)
- Surface Lots: $276.00 ($23 monthly)
- Part-Time Surface Lots: $144.00 per year ($12.00 monthly)
- Adjunct Faculty/Part-Time Staff: $144.00/year, $60.00/semester, $24.00/summer